The origin of the department goes back in time to 1950, when twas established in 1950 for general training for students of mechanical and chemical specialties in technical thermodynamics and general thermal engineering.
In 1968 the department became to graduate students majoring in Thermal power engineering. Currently, we have trained more than 1500 specialists. In 2008, the department was renamed into the “Department of Thermal Engineering and Energy Efficient Technologies”.
Today we are training bachelors and masters of full-time and part-time forms of education in specialty 144 – Thermal power engineering.
The Department also offers full-time and part-time postgraduate course (Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)) and doctoral studies of NTU “KhPI” majoring in Thermal power engineering.
The teaching staff of the department comprise 11 teachers, including 1 doctor of technical sciences and 9 candidates of technical sciences.
Сourses taught cover the following areas:
Energy efficiency, energy saving technologies. Energy ecology.
Energy management and audit.
Computer technologies in thermal power engineering.
Heating, heat supply, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
Renewable and alternative energy sources, processing of industrial and household waste.
Heat engineering and power equipment for industrial and agro-industrial complexes.
Thermal and nuclear power plants, industrial and heated boiler houses.
Graduates of the department may get job in various industries, energetics, at the enterprises of the agro-industrial complex:
– thermal and nuclear power plants, heating networks, heating boiler houses;
– design organizations and firms for the installation, operation and repair of heat engineering and power equipment of enterprises in various industries, housing and communal services, agro-industrial complex;
– companies involved in the implementation of energy-saving measures, energy audits, renewable energy sources (solar and wind power plants, heat pumps, biofuel plants);
– energy and heat engineering divisions of enterprises of various industries (design, installation, operation, modernization and repair of heat engineering equipment).
Power engineers may find work in any industry in which heat and cooling processes are used. For example, they may work at:
– enterprises of the food and processing industry (including meat processing plants, dairies, breweries, cold storage plants, oil extraction and sugar factories, confectionery enterprises);
– enterprises of the chemical and oil refining industries;
– factories for the production of building materials (including brick, tile, glass factories, factories for the production of cement, reinforced concrete structures);
– enterprises of ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, etc.
– as well as shopping centers and shopping and entertainment complexes (operation of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration systems).
- Increasing energy efficiency and reliability of heat supply systems.
- Increasing the efficiency of heat and mass transfer equipment of power plants.
- Development of energy-efficient integrated systems for the utilization of thermal secondary energy resources of heat technology and power equipment in various industries.
Qualifications and Areas of Specialization
Department of heat engineering and effective enegry technologies
proposes Master degree programme both in Full–time and Combined form in
«Thermal power engineering» with such profiles as:
-«Industrial and municipal power engineering»
-«Energy management and energy efficiency»