The department has a modern material base. As part of the reference center of modern technologies in metallography and materials science, that was opened for the first time in Eastern Ukraine, the department has installed a set of optical microscopes produced by the German company Carl Zeiss. Automated workplaces with unique specialized software were created for digital image processing. High-resolution transmission electron microscopes, specialized X-ray diffractometers, etc. are used for nanostructural studies.
The study of the physic-mechanical properties of materials is carried out on automated equipment for testing materials in the mode of active stretching and relaxation, measuring hardness, toughness tests, etc. The vacuum laboratory is equipped with installations with oil and oil-free means for pumping. This allows to obtain various materials and coatings in vacuum by ion-plasma, vacuum-arc, thermal and electron-beam evaporation technique, including nanomaterials and materials with amorphous-cluster structure.
The equipment of the specialized laboratory allows to conduct all types of thermal and thermochemical treatment: in vacuum and protective media, surface hardening with high-frequency currents, boration, cementation, carbonitriding, etc.
The department provides training in the specialty 132 «Materials Science» and two specializations: «Applied Materials Science and Computer Engineering Materials», «New Functional Materials and Nanotechnology». 40 disciplines are taught, which include mastering the basic knowledge of the modern level on the management of the structure and properties of materials such as ferrous, non-ferrous and precious metals and alloys, functional coatings. Knowledge is given on the methods of examination of structures, as well as materials science of the jewelry and artistic and decorative industries. It provides practical experience in the field of thermal, thermomechanical, thermochemical, ion-plasma, micro-arc and other modern methods of processing materials.
In training, modern computer technologies are used to analyze the structure, mathematical modeling of impacts, and automate the processes of creating new materials at the macro, micro, and nano levels. There is an in-depth study of foreign languages, including in the direction of the chosen specialization; the development of methods of technical creativity and patenting of inventions and protection of intellectual property; practical training at modern enterprises of Ukraine and abroad.
1) Structural engineering of nanomaterials (headed by Prof. Sobol Oleh Valentynovych);
2) Using the method of vacuum condensation for the creation of new composite materials with low solubility of components or with complete mutual insolubility (pseudo-alloys) (headed by Prof. Zubkov Anatolii Ivanovych);
3) Strengthening the working surface of valve materials and alloys on their basis by the method of microarc oxidation (MAO) (headed by Prof. Bilozerov Valerii Volodymyrovych);
4) Improving the technology of surface hardening by high-frequency currents (led by Prof. Pohribnyi Mykolai Andriiovych, Kniaziev Serhii Anatoliiovych);
5) Innovative technologies for hardening the surface layers of machine parts and tools by thermochemical treatment (TCT: borination, nitriding, cementation, carbonitriding, etc.) (headed by Ass. prof. Barmin Oleksandr Yevhenovych);
6) Obtaining and studying materials with a supermicrocrystalline (SMC) structure and composites based on them using the methods of stress relaxation and software hardening (headed by Ass. prof. Terletskyi Oleksandr Semenovych);
7) Computer Materials Science (headed by Ass. prof. Kolupaiev Ihor Mykolaiovych)
Qualifications and Areas of Specialization
- Materials Science: Applied materials science and computer materials engineering
- Materials Science: New functional materials and nanotechnology